Matthew Jordan Smith African Safari and Photo Workshop
November 1st to 10th 2017
November 2017 Call now to reserve a spot. 505-345-6322
African Safari Workshop
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THE SAFARI PHOTO WORKSHOP
During the photo workshop Matthew will teach you how to create the best in-camera pictures with the best exposures. You’ll learn how to select the right setting to take pictures of fast moving objects and how to photograph the stars at night. You’ll enjoy incredible stories and learn to shoot with confidence. Each day during the photo workshop you’ll leave with tips to not only help you take better pictures on your safari but to help you make better pictures for the rest of your life.
Matthew has taught photography workshops in Italy, China and Japan. He has taken pictures all over the world including the North Pole, Iceland, India, Nepal and Alaska. This promises to be an incredible adventure and a wonderful opportunity to learn the joy of photography.
Matthew Jordan Smith is an American photographer based in Los Angeles. He has photographed some of the most famous people in the world – including the President of Iceland, Oprah Winfrey, and the richest man in the world, Carlos Slim. He is best known for his portraits of celebrities, actors, and models. His client list include Olay, Pantene, Revlon, Sony Entertainment, HBO and Showtime. His celebrity clients include Angela Bassett, Tyra Banks, Queen Latifah, Aretha Franklin and many more.
Matthew launched his career as a photographer in New York City, shooting for major magazines and advertising agencies, and in his spare time he focuses on personal projects. On February 16, 2015, (Presidents’ Day) Oro Editions/ Goff Press published Matthew’s third book, Future American President; 50 States, 100 Families, Infinite Dreams. Future American President features portraits of children from 100 families and from every state in America. The goal of Matthew’s third book is to inspire every child to dream big knowing they have infinite possibilities. He is currently working on a new project inspired by his travels to Asia.
Matthew has received numerous awards and honors throughout his photographic career. In March of 2014 he received the Vision Award for Future American President. In April of 2014, he received the Power of Image award in Beijing China. Matthew has taught at the prestigious School of Visual Arts and the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops in New Mexico. He is the host of the photography podcast, Master Your Lens, found on iTunes. In his spare time Matthew can be found working out or traveling to Japan, his favorite get-away destination. A native of New York City, Matthew resides in Los Angeles.
Your Safari Hosts. Kevin and Tricia Dooley
Kevin and Tricia Dooley have been leading safaris for many years. Tricia Dooley was born in South Africa, speaks several languages, and is an expert on the local knowledge and flavor. Kevin Dooley is a professional wildlife Photographer as well as a wedding and portrait photographer. Kevin is also a tested and certified wildlife guide through the filed guides association of Southern Africa.
Your African Safari
This is a limited seating Safari and will fill up fast. Call 505-401-2988
This is a full African Safari that takes place in one of the most beautiful safari areas in Africa. We will be using open safari vehicles where you will get to experience African wildlife up close and personal. This is a unique and amazing opportunity to experience Africa in a way that very few people get to do. Kevin Dooley will also be available to help and teach wildlife photography techniques. Don’t miss this amazing opportunity to learn from the amazing Rick Sammon and go on a full African Safari.
Your First Night in South Africa.
You will most likely be arriving at approximitly 5:30 PM. Delta Airlines has a non stop flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg. We will pick you up at the Airport in Johannesburg, Please make sure to forward us your flight information. We prefer to work closley with each safari member to make sure that all the flight bookings are correct, Please check with us when making your flight reservations. On your arrival evening in Johannesburg you will need to secure a hotel room, this is not included in the safari price. We recommend the Emperors Palace Peermont Metcourt which is only approximately 5 min from the Johannesburg airport. Our Tours normally depart from this location at approximately 8:30 AM on the Beginning day of your Safari. Please update us when you make your reservation, if you select a different hotel, you will need to meet us at the Metcourt no later then 8AM. Link to the Metcourt http://www.emperorspalace.com/hotels/peermont-metcourt-hotel. Please note all hotels before and after the safari are at your own expense.
Shopping Experience at Cambanos & Son
Idube Photo Safaris has searched for the ultimate South African Shopping Experience . Clothing, Jewelry, Arts and Crafts, Beadwork, Drums, and just about everything under the sun that is African. This business is one of the biggest in South Africa, supplying the world with African curios. But the pledge remains the same “Make sure the customer is happy” and hope they eventually become friends. The business is still run by the family today; Gerry Cambanos is only a phone call away if you require a piece of Africa in your home. We will spend approximately two hours at this amazing location. This stop will be in route to our Lesedi Cultural Village Experience and sleepover.
Lesedi Cultural Village Overnight.
Stay with a traditional rural African family in a choice of five traditional homesteads, which nestle in the African bush, and where families of Pedi, Sotho, Xhosa, Zulu and Ndebele live.Accommodation offers every modern comfort with en-suite bathrooms. Some interesting facts of each tribal homestead are detailed for your enjoyment.Your Stay
On arrival at Lesedi in the late afternoon, you’ll be welcomed by the families who then take you to their homestead where you will be staying. The head of the home then becomes your personal escort for the rest of your stay. Once settled in your comfortable accommodation huts, you’ll be introduced to the many colourful and fascinating aspects of the cultures of the people of Lesedi.
NYAMA CHOMA RESTAURANT
An integral element of African culture is the way in which food forms part of the celebration of their eclectic mix of cultures. The 160-seater restaurant with its authentic setting and vibrant decor offers an exotic buffet with meat delicacies ranging from ostrich, Chicken, Lamb, and Beef to unusual fare such as crocodile. The restaurant is divided into three sections, namely:
East Africa: featuring murals of the Maasai, the beautiful people of the East
South Africa: Murals of nine tribes of South Africa
North Africa, the Nile Room: Sit cross legged on floor cushions at low tables
Each of these venues offers its own unique dining experience, where you can absorb the variety of colours, sights, smells, tastes and sounds of the various African customs. All of which is complemented by the restaurant’s traditional and friendly service.
Daily Cultural Show
The Monati (lunch) and Boma (dinner) cultural experiences are 2½ hour programs starting at 11:30am and 16:30pm daily. Guests are taken to the Ndebele village where a welcome by all the people of Lesedi, takes place. The program begins with a multi-visual presentation on the history and origins of today’s rainbow nation, followed by a guided tour of the five homesteads. Guests are escorted to the Boma for traditional singing and dancing – a very participative affair!
The Ingoma – An amazing multi-cultural dance show. As the sun sets over the African bush, you’re escorted to the Boma for a very interactive affair of traditional singing and dancing, which depict stories dating back to the days of their ancestors. Thrill to the amazing spectacle of Lesedi’s Giant Ngoma, a multi-cultural dance display that will teach you more about our fascinating traditions.
The Safari Lodge
The tented accommodation in Madikwe offers twelve tented suites, reflecting a strong Afro-Asian safari ambience, each boasting a viewing deck overlooking the Marico River. These spacious tents offer every comfort and luxury and are, wonderfully decorated and appointed. Children are welcome and of the 12 tented suites, 4 are family units, each with an extra Queen-size sleeper couch catering for children. Facilities include air conditioning, hairdryer, Power 220vAc.
Within the canvas frame of the tented Madikwe accommodation, the interior is uniquely designed to incorporate a full bathroom. Each tent has a sliding door that opens onto a private deck overlooking the river. Every aspect of our guests’ stay and the surrounding camp has been carefully crafted to appeal to all our guests. Whether you are with friends, family or enjoying a romantic getaway, Thakadu River Camp offers an opportunity to connect with nature and discover the magic of an African sunset and the animals that inhabit this special area.
Lodge Facilities At Thakadu Lodge In The North West Province
Thakadu River Camp comprises the main camp as well as 12 tented suites which are located between the Marico River and a small tributary of the Marico.Facilities & Services include:
- Open Plan Lounge area
- Dining area
- Lodge Pool & Bar Area overlooking the river
- 12 tented suites – 4 are family units, with extra queen sized sleeper couch. All with Indoor bath and shower. Each with own viewing deck.
- Traditional “lapa’ falls within a glade of natural riverine forest
- Private Viewing Deck
- Game Drives
- Highly-trained game rangers
- Traditional Outdoor Boma
- Air conditioning
Additional information and Photographs of our Thakadu River Camp Lodge Click Here
Your Safari and Photography Workshop
Below is a general outline of our daily schedule while on Safari: All Activities are optional, the camp is a great place to just relax and enjoy nature.
5:30 AM Wake Up 6:00 AM Tea/Coffee/ Snacks
6:30 AM Leave on Safari
10:00 AM Return from Safari
10;15 AM Full Breakfast
11:30 AM Photography Workshop Session
1:30 PM Lunch
(NOTE) Depending on what time we get back from the morning game drive, we sometimes combine Breakfast and lunch into a brunch.
3:30 PM High Tea
3:45 PM Leave on Safari
Return at Dark
8PM Full Dinner, time by the fire, and bed time
- Safari Vehicles and Nature Guides: No big buses, we will be together as a private group. Kevin and or Tricia will be with you for your Safari. With Idube Photo Safaris, you will experience the fun and excitement of wildlife viewing and photography from a outfitted 4-wheel drive safari vehicle. We will help with setting up your gear to photograph wildlife and will make suggestions on camera gear and camera mounts and support. You will normally have two game drives a day,(weather permitting, normally there will only be one game drive on lodge arrival and departure days). Game Drives last approximately three to four hours each. We Do our Game Drives during the best times of the day for wildlife activities and photographic lighting. You have the option to join us on all our game drives or to skip a game drive and just relax around the lodge. Our Game Drive vehicles are equipped with a spot light for night time viewing, giving us the opportunity to spot and locate nocternal species as well as experience the behavior differences between daytime and nighttime activity. Radios for communication with the lodge and other safari vehicles , as well as blankets and ponchos, and water and snacks, are kept on the vehicles to provide warmth and comfort in the early mornings and evenings. Your guide will have expert knowledge about the area , the wildlife you will be experiencing and photographing. The guides will also be answering questions and sharing information about the wildlife, the flora, and the culture. Because our groups all have a common interest, we can tailor the game drives to the majority of our interests.
- Wildlife Viewing: Are wildlife areas are huge and have a very large diversity of Animal life, Bird life, Plant life, and Geology. We may choose to focus on predators (lions, hyaenas , cheetahs and leopards), or the large herbivores (elephants, giraffes, rhinos, zebra, and wildebeest ) however we never know what we might come across while out in the African bush. We do share radio calls and work with other Safari Vehicles in the area, working together to locate the best wildlife sightings. In addition to looking for wildlife, we stop in the mornings for coffee and muffins , and in the evening for sundowners and snacks.
- Your Hosts: Kevin and or Tricia will be with you for your Safari. We will provide a meet and greet at the airport, as well as be with you to help with everything on your Safari. Kevin Dooley is a qualified FGASA nature guide and professional wildlife and portrait/wedding photographer. The advantages of having a professional photographer and wildlife guide with you on safari are many. With the knowledge of photography, the passion of getting just the right image and lighting, and the training in locating wildlife and understand their behavior is a big bonus to have on safari. Tricia Dooley is South African and is from South Africa. Tricia has a great knowledge of the country, it’s people, and the advantage of knowing the roads and directions to great places to visit and see. Tricia also has the advantage of communicating and understanding the local people.
- $7999.00 per couple $4399.00 Single, Workshop $395.00
- 09 nights 10 Days
- Depart USA November 2017
- Arrive Johannesburg November 1st 2017
- Emperors Palace November 1st 2017
- Shopping and Lesedi Cultural Center November 2nd 2017
- Thakadu River Camp Safari November 3rd- 10th
- Airport Johannesburg November 10th
- USA Arrival November 11th
- Workshop Fee $395.00
- Book Now
Whats Included in most Safaris
Accommodation once your Safari commences / Food, Tap Water, Tea and Coffee / Game Drives / Drinks and Snacks on Game Drives / Transportation to and from destanation Airport / Village Visit.
Extra Charges on Most Safaris
Beverages other than Tap Water, Coffee and Tea / Internet Charges / Accommodations and food before and after Safari commencement / Laundry Services / Air Transport to and from Africa / Air Transport between safari camps /Park Fees / Gifts and curios .
IDUBE Photo Safaris 2414 Juan Tabo NE Albuquerque NM 87112 505-345-6322 Cell 505-401-2988 Fax 505-345-1539
E MAIL CONTACT email@example.com
South Africa Photo Safaris Banjo Workshops Wildlife photography photography workshops Honeymoons